Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Terrible Twos?

Claire is now 2 1/2 and some days I am not sure if I will make it through the “terrible twos”.  I have been wondering if all 2 year olds throw a fit (yelling, screaming, kicking, running away, etc) for everything or if it is just her.  Claire throws a fit 85-90% of the time for the following:

  • Getting into her chair for breakfast, lunch, & dinner (she never wants to eat a meal, she only wants “nummy treats”)
  • Brushing teeth
  • Washing hair
  • Getting out of the bathtub (even when she has turned completely blue)
  • Brushing hair (don’t even think about making it look cute)
  • Getting dressed and undressed
  • Getting her coat, hat, & gloves on
  • Putting lotion on her face
  • Wiping her nose
  • Turning off the TV
  • Going to bed
  • Getting her diaper changed (especially bad)
  • And other inexplicable reasons

Things she is always willing to do include:

  • Eating candy or gum
  • Watching Curious George

Is there light at the end of the tunnel?  I have heard that the “threes” are worse than the “terrible twos”, if so, please let me know and we will consider a family of four sufficient!

8 comments:

Karli said...

I love that you posted this and didn't dress it up. Most moms are afraid to say the things that their toddlers are doing that would make them appear anything less than perfect and I totally hear you on this post! Grayson just turned two and we're noticing things that just seem to have appeared overnight. I can totally relate to the hating to have diaper changed, bathtime routine, washing hair, etc. Sometimes it's just over nothing. And, we love curious george here too. Hang in there-I think it will get better-I definitely have to keep telling myself that!

Julie said...

Sounds like you just described our day, well except maybe the getting gloves and coat on part. Thank heavens we don't have to deal with that, I can only imagine the meltdown!
Luke is also quite fond of eating candy and gum and has even turned it into medicine. As in, he comes to me and says "mommy my tummy hurts, I need treat medicine to make it feel better." Treat medicine! This age amazes me!

Annie said...

She's a stubborn one! Does it seem genetic? Jane looks too sweet to get into any trouble.

Natalie said...

Mandy - It might depend on the child, but for my kids, it is a girl thing. My 2 year old daughter is WAY worse at this age than her brother was. He was definitely worse in the 3 year old stage. I seriously wanted him checked for ADHD at his 3 year old checkup. But Ellie at 2 is SOOOOOO dramatic! I can't even tell you how bad she pouts and stomps off like she is a teenager! It is ridiculous. And she hits her brother at the drop of a hat. We are definitely considering the benefits of a 4 member family! ;)

The Kimber Crew said...

Hey Mandy,

I'm glad we're not the only one. Chad asked me just last night if her throwing fits over brushing her teeth was normal or "healthy for her childhood." Lydia throws fits for most of those very same things. We had a huge meltdown yesterday over getting dressed and a huge one this morning for getting out of the bath tub. HOLY COW! And to make it all worse, Russell is suddenly waking up crying every 1-2 hours all night long! Just when he was starting to give me a little rest. Aaah! Can mothers quit their jobs? I hear ya on the possiblity of no more kids too. At least not any time soon..... Cant' tell you if three gets any better. I'm only hoping...
Miss you!!

Brenna

Julie Miller said...

I'd have to say the 2s are the easy part! At 4 they have the vocabulary to communicate but still throw the 2 year old tantrums but also throw your own disiplinary tactics against you, and they are much bigger to try to physically make them do what you want! Ah, the rewards of being a mother! Hang in there!

Brenna said...

Your doing great sweetie!!!! Great! Anna (my sister's 2 year old) is going through the exact same thing. Stay positive - take it easy - and get lots of breaks. Start calling your Visiting Teachers and actually taking them up on their offers to watch her for a bit. GET OUT OF the house!

And last but not least - call me! Love you (your other Brenna)

Kari said...

Oh this brings back too many memories--and is too much of a preview for what is just around the corner. Hang in there--3's were definitely worse for us, but she's getting some of it out her system early! The end of 4 and 5 were pretty great--hope that gives you something to look forward to!